Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

My Favorite Holiday

Hey everyone!

There are lots of things around this time of year that are orange.
Leaves,
      sunsets,
Yummy!!!!!
Photo Courtesy of Pillsbury
          sweet potatoes,
               and best of all pumpkin!
                     Pumpkin pie to be exact  :)









If you know me at all you will know that my one true love and passion is food. Given this information, I bet you then can easily guess what my favorite holiday is!

Yes reader, it's Thanksgiving.

Orange is my color of tradition.  Every year for Thanksgiving we have many traditions in my family.  I can tell you who will come to town, what we will do before, during and after dinner, and what we will eat.  I know who will tell bad jokes, who will get mad, and who will leave early because they are bored.  I LOVE this holiday!

My grandparents are a central part of my orange tradition.  For as long as I can remember, my grandparents have been at my house for Thanksgiving. They come in a week early from Pennsylvania and we go on a short trip somewhere to spend time together, and then...


Holiday Decorations
Photo Courtesy of Jan Coleman
It's time to prepare.
  We spend a whole day just setting up the table and getting ready to go! My grandma and I always decorate the house and table for dinner.
Well... I am making it sound too easy. However, this activity is far from it! When we pull down the big box of decorations from the attic everyone suddenly has an opinion. It's, "Oh, put this here" or "No! not there!" It's like the sheer number of decorations overwhelms us and we each feel the need to sell our opinion to everyone else. The goes on for quite some time, and but eventually someone gets their way (usually my grandmother) and we all agree it's a beautiful table.


A new tradition this year?  I helped my mom make pumpkin pie, not just turned the mixer on, but really did most of the work kind of help!  And to the amazement of all, those pies were fabulous (Just like me! Who knew!)!  Good for dessert, then breakfast, then snack, then dessert again!

Thanksgiving day is agonizing!  The adults, led by my grandmother, cook, and cook, and cook.  I can't stand the wait, and the fact that my mouth waters all day. Then our regulars start arriving, almost always in the same order, with hugs, smiles, and lots of laughter and conversation.  We have the coolest Thanksgiving crowd at our house. Some years there are lots of extra people and some years there aren't so many. We eat food and pie and talk until nine or ten.


Orange, my new substitute for Thanksgiving, is all about is remembering the people and things in life that are important. When I was little I would always get really excited because I got to eat lots of food, see my friends, and my grandparents would come. Now I realize that while all of those things are really fun and good, the holiday is about more than that. My grandma shows her love in her cooking, my grandpa tears up every time he says prayers at Thanksgiving dinner, and always makes me think about how much he loves us.  "The Murphy family meeting"  reminds everyone at our table of all the good things that happen, not just to us, but to everyone over the year.

What is the "The Murphy family meeting"?   Well, it isn't a meeting and we are not the Murphy family.  It did not start as our family tradition, but was brought to us by one of the people that comes to our house for Thanksgiving every year. We go around the table and everyone says what the coolest thing that they did in the year. It always has made me think of all the great things that I did and how grateful I am that those things happened. By the time it's my turn, I have relived my whole year of good things, and I am very thankful.




No comments:

Post a Comment