Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Color For All Seasons




Behind Every Good Season is Color...
YELLOW!!!!



I always thought that yellow was a summer color.  I mean think about it!  Summer yellow is bright, fun, happy, all the things that make summer, well, summer. 



A warm summer day be without the sun would be dark , gloomy, and     
Grove Beach, Clinton, CT
cold, definitely not summer.  What would a fun day at the beach be without the golden, yellow sand? Definitely not the beach.

What good would a lemonade stand be without sweet-tart yellow of lemonade? Not sure, but certainly not summer.
http://www.kcustomables.com/uploads/9/3/6/4/9364924/2377722_orig.jpg
Photo courtesy of K Customables










It turns out when you Google "summer yellow" the most popular topic is squash recipes.  I wasn't even thinking food!

                                            _____________________

It turns out though, my favorite season for yellow isn't even summer.  I love Fall! The piles and piles of leaves!  It is a sea of yellows, golds, oranges and reds.  But yellow against a background of dark green pine is a spectacular thing.

 
Photo Courtesy of Wallpaper Den

Leaves on Ecker Hill







Being in the Rocky Mountains in the Fall, you can't help but notice the colors are more brilliant because of the contrasting golden, yellow aspen leaves.  In addition to being pretty to look at, changing colors is also very functional. Yellow leaves are a sign that the trees will begin to shut down for winter. Chlorophyll, which is green, starts to disappear from the leaves which lets us see other colors that have been in the leaves all along. 

Once again Google surprised me, when I searched "fall yellow" I thought that my search would be dominated by sites with leaf pictures. Instead all I found were Yellow Jackets!! Who knew that people were so concerned about bees in the fall?



 
       _____________________


Photo courtesy of The Beat
What about winter? I don't often think about color in the winter and certainly not yellow, but after a few minuets of thought I realized there is plenty of yellow things to think about in the winter.
Photo courtesy of Original Ski Posters

Of course there is the warm, crackling, yellow flames but also apparently, according to Google(once again), there is a huge yellow fashion trend in the winter.
If you look up winter yellow all you get are clothes, clothes and more clothes, although this fashionable look is by far my favorite!


_____________________


Photo courtesy of Pinterest
Spring has, by far, the most variety of yellows of all the seasons. 
Photo courtesy of Pintrest
What with all the flowers, clothing, and of course baby chicks you can find practically every shade of yellow imaginable!

When searched on Google there are a couple of different thing that come up. First is, of course the Spring Edition of the Yellow Pages , which is not surprising. What I found interesting though is that there are several towns in the U.S that are called "Yellow Springs". Who knew?







With all of the good feelings yellow sends my way each season, I decided to explore the psychological  meaning of it and turns out... I am WAY off base! According to Color Psychology  "In the meaning of colors, yellow inspires original thought and inquisitiveness." Yellow is a symbol of ideas that adds meaning to experience, which could be why I see yellow across seasons. Although the psychology of yellow could account for my random thinking, it doesn't really help me understand the emotions that yellow seems to give.  

It made me curious, wondering if I am the only "seasonal and emotional yellow" person out there.  For some more information on this colorful topic I decided to ask some trusted friends what they thought about yellow.  Here are some responses I got:
Photo courtesy of Pyramid Flowers

  • Sunshine: which I am sure we can all relate to during the summer
  • Sunflowers
  • Summer (feeling better that am I not the only one)
  • I also got dead grass and pudding (banana pudding?)

As you can see there was some diversity in the answers that I received, but not too much that is a sign of originality or inquisitiveness!

No comments:

Post a Comment