Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Nature of Brown

Did you know according to surveys brown is the least liked color in all of Europe and the United States? I mean I know it isn't the prettiest color, but come on! Is it really that bad?

Driving up Parley's Canyon today I noticed a lot of brown. All the pretty golden leaves from the last couple of weeks had dried up. I started thinking about how much brown there is in nature. Brown is so earthy, so absolutely natural. One of my favorite smells is, in the spring, when you are planting or even walking around and you can smell all of that soil. It smells fresh and new and is also brown!


Photo courtesy of Dirt Matters


and then there is the matter of my favorite treats....
THE END!
Photo courtesy of Clark Books
   
Yum!
Photo courtesy of Meaningful Eats


(Brown is my favorite food group!)
See Brown isn't so bad!
Photo courtesy of  My Baking Addiction

So, if brown is the color of all of these yummy treats (and many more) why don't many people like it? Likely it is because it is common and maybe just a little boring.

What do I mean by that? Well it turns out that brown is the second most common hair color and the most common eye color. There seems to be a stereotype that people, especially women, with brown hair(brunettes) are more serious, stable, and smart. In at least one study they were described as independent, self-sufficient, and intelligent.  I guess "independent, self-sufficient, and intelligent" aren't very exciting, but they definitely aren't bad.

It turns out there is a reason why I seem to be so comfortable with brown, I am a brown.  Not really in the sense of skin color or favorite color, but in the personality sense!

There are many traits to the personality of brown, and most of them actually describe me!
If you are a "brown" according to color psychology, you are most likely:


  • honest, down-to-earth person with both feet planted firmly on the ground.
  • steady and reliable and quietly confident.
  • friendly and approachable, genuine and sincere.
  • have a keen sense of duty - I take my responsibilities very seriously.
  • a loyal and trustworthy friend, supportive and dependable
It's strange to see yourself in print!  

Brown personalities are also homebodies and prefer family to other activities and people.  They tend to like simple things that are comfortable and of good quality.  They like everything in its place, and prefer to know exactly what is going on before they commit - no surprises please!  

I began to think more seriously about my "brownness"... this is me in bullet points!

We browns will work hard to change a situation that seems unjust or unfair. Like others, I have a strong need for security and a sense of belonging, and see life as a struggle believing that it wasn't meant to be easy. But probably the most descriptive phrase of browns and of me?

prefer to stay in my own safe little world - I don't like my little world to be upset by anything, just ask my mom.

This is new information for me because I had never thought about what color has to do with your personality or feelings before. The weirdest part about this is that, if you know me I am sure you will agree, I fit the description for brown perfectly!

So here's to all the wonderful shades of brown in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment