Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Let's Go to the Beach, Beach...


Turquoise 

Just so you know readers, I have been saving this color for several months. The reason is spring break...


Spring break was last week; most of you knew that already.  For spring break my family decided to go to the Bahamas!!

I have been stoked about this trip for a long time. I think I bored many of my friends to death by telling them for the sixteenth time that I was going to the Bahamas for spring break and that I was really excited.

We rented this cute little cottage in this little community on the beach.
This is a picture of the back of our house
Photo Courtesy of VRBO
The beach was a short walk down a path out of the back of the house.  The beach is kind of hard to explain, but colors is a great place to start...

I mean I had heard about how white the sand was and how blue the water was, and seen lots of pictures. I can tell you, seeing it in person and in a picture are two completely different things.  I was struck a little speechless (and sightless on account of the sun) when I first saw it!
Right into the water with me!

I know, reader, I keep saying it, but the water is an incredible turquoise color, it almost looks like someone dyed it. The sand is unlike any other sand I have ever seen/felt in my life. It is super, super soft, and warm. Did I mention it is also a brilliant, blinding, creamy, white color?  I was in heaven!  

Me and my brother on the beach
Photo Creds to Me
For my birthday,  we went on a guided kayak/snorkeling tour. This guy took us kayaking to this cute little island called Peterson Cay (pronounced "key").  It's actually the smallest national park in the Bahamas.  We dropped our paddles once we got there and put on some snorkeling gear he brought for us. We snorkeled for the rest of the morning. When we went back to the island he made us lunch! Then we had some free time and kayaked back to the mainland. It was pretty fun to be out in the middle of that turquoise water.

I would have more pictures to increase the jealousy factor but I blew it. I bought this waterproof phone case especially for this trip and it was working great until we got back from snorkeling and I opened it up to find that the inside was soaked. The camera on my phone is completely broken now... Whoops.

I really was immersed in turquoise for the rest of the trip... pretty much just beach days! It was really great.

Me and my brother on the beach in front of our house







 Photo Creds to my Dad


On my actual birthday we dressed in something other than a bathing suit and went to this garden down the road from our house. It was called the Garden of the Groves and it was really pretty, with several trees and plants that don't grow anywhere else. 

Garden of the Groves



After that we went home and the man that took care of our house, who is also a chef, cooked me a special birthday dinner!! It was so yummy!! Thanks Andrew!!!

Eating my birthday dessert!
Creds to my Mom



You are probably by now getting a little sick of hearing about my turquoise adventure, but I have just one more thing....

On our last day we went to Paradise cove, yes, another beach.  It was also, gorgeous, but the best part? There was a reef called Dead Man's Reef that you swim out to and snorkel! This wasn't just some seaweed and a couple of corals, it was like a full on reef! It was like Finding Nemo or something.  It was super cool! There were all sorts of fish in different colors shapes and sizes!

See a similarity?? Creds me

Creds here

I'll just share a couple of highlights. First of all were these turquoise parrot fish that we found that I thought would be perfect for my turquoise blog.

Some turquoise fish.
 Creds to Me


Then there were these freaky barracudas (that fish that killed Nemo's mom) that decided to band together to scare Sabine. Actually they didn't really do anything but there were like twenty of them just sitting there looking at us with their creepy little bug eyes. Ugh, they give me the shivers.

This is the one from Finding Nemo, I didn't get a picture of the ones we sawCreds



Then whenever you swam in and out of the reef there was this one place on the way back to shore that like six or seven sea turtles liked to hang out. It was really cool to keep seeing them! There was even one that had these fish that were cleaning its shell attached to its back!

Here is one turtle

And another one Creds to me


The last thing that we saw was this manta ray! It was kind of far away so there isn't a really good picture but it was huge! That was pretty cool.

You can barely see it
Creds to me


It was really fun to be able to spend spring break and my birthday in such a cool place! I suspect you can figure out why turquoise truly is my favorite!



No comments:

Post a Comment