Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Mango Madness

^^ See what I did there?

The color for this post is

Mango! 
(it is like a combination of Orange and Yellow)

It is like March Madness for foodies, but not really. Well March is over and it is April now.

You know what that means? Well for one my birthday was last week (that is over spring break by the way. Yes be jealous).  More to the point, it is also a time when some of my favorite fruits come into season. I mean of course we can get any kind of fruit at any time of year, but we all know that it tastes better when it is in season!

I just ate like ten minutes ago and now I am hungry again!
Photo Courtesy of Therapy Works
Of all of the spring and summer fruits mangos are my favorite (if you couldn't tell by the title). I have been in love with mangos longer than I can remember. They are just so juicy and sweet! In fact I love mangos so much that it is making my mouth water just talking about them! I know they are in season, because they are cheaper and taste a whole lot better.

I was kinda wondering why things taste better when they are in season even though we can get them all year long. So I used trusty Google and looked it up. I was really disappointed, because Google told me that I was wrong and fruit doesn't taste any different. Well I think that Google is wrong, who's with me? ✋

Foods most definitely taste better when they are in season. Obviously these people have never, ever been to a farmers market!
A farmers market with all their fresh produce!
Photo Courtesy of Utah Courts


It is quite a special treat to finally be able to eat all of the delicious fruits and vegetables that I have been waiting for all year. Grocery store peaches, raspberries, strawberries, and nectarines have been forever ruined for me by farmer's market quality ones.

As I have said, (Mango Madness) my favorite fruit is mango. Mangos are not found in Utah farmers markets, but I am still very picky about my mangos and other tropical fruits.

Mangos are a spring fruit so the ripe, yummy ones are just starting to come into grocery stores. Let me tell you I am stoked!!!!!! And the biggest problem with me and yummy fruit???  Among other things I start to let my mind wander to all of the other tropical fruits I am desperately in love with: pineapples, kiwis, bananas, and papaya.
Some yummy tropical fruits
Photo Courtesy of Pictures For Ever

Disappointed with my Google experience but still kind of wondering what "In season fruit" is, I looked it up again. This time, I found an article about the health benefits of eating only in season fruit.

Apparently in some European countries such as Italy, the cooks and consumers refuse to cook with or eat food that has been shipped long distances. Produce is more flavorful the closer it is to its origin, as each step of the shipping process eke's out the natural flavors of the food. It isn't just about flavor. There are many nutritional and economical advantages to eating seasonal food.

Scientists in Japan have done experiments concerning the benefits of seasonal produce. They used spinach, which they found has twice the vitamin C when it is fresh as when it has been shipped long distances. The economic advantage is that most in-season produce comes from local farmers. Then the locals have more money and they spend more which contributes majorly to the economy!

The moral of this story is eat as much local food as possible, it is good for you!! Unless of course you don't like fruits and vegetables.  Then you can go eat as much McDonalds as you want, where nothing is in season.

This is apparently the "World's Largest McDonald's" (building or people??)
Photo Courtesy of Gary Wolff


No comments:

Post a Comment